Counselling is an increasingly sought-after skill. As lifestyles become more and more hectic with work, family and other personal commitments to prioritise, many people feel under growing stress and struggle to keep their lives and wellbeing in balance.
This trend is reflected in the growing demand for counsellors in Australia. It’s estimated that the number of counsellors employed in Australia will grow by 23% by 2020 (compared to 2015). (Source: https://www.seeklearning.com.au/industries/community-services/counselling/counsellor)
Counsellors’ jobs are to help people from a diverse range of backgrounds, ages and cultures to talk through their problems and emotional difficulties, and to help them identify the issues that are serving as roadblocks to achieving their goals.
Acquiring the skills you need to be an effective counsellor can be done by studying a counselling course online through distance education. This means you don’t have to commit to full-time on-campus study at TAFE or other vocational education and training (VET) providers to become a qualified counsellor.
Counselling courses – TAFE
While studying counselling courses at TAFE or other VET providers is an option if you’d like to become a qualified counsellor, it generally requires you to commit to full-time or part-time on-campus study.
This is often not feasible when you’re juggling work and other personal commitments, or when you need to maintain a sustainable income.
The benefits of studying counselling courses online include:
- You don’t need to put your work, family commitments, or income on-hold
- You can study flexibly online – whenever and wherever is suits you
- You can acquire essential counselling skills, have access to industry-expert teaching staff, and gain a nationally-recognised counselling training qualification as an on-campus student would
Online distance education
TrainSmart Australia offers you the opportunity to study a counselling course through online distance education with its CHC51015 Diploma of Counselling.
This nationally-recognised training will equip you with the skills and expertise you need to provide professional guidance to diverse groups and individuals – and to make positive changes in their lives.
Just like courses at TAFE, TrainSmart Australia’s Diploma of Counselling course is VSL-approved and certified nationally-recognised training.
With TrainSmart Australia’s course, you’ll be able to study:
- Flexibly online – whenever and wherever it suits you
- At an industry-leading registered training organisation (RTO)
- With the financial support of the Australian Government’s VSL program
- A nationally-recognised counselling training course that will enable you to become a qualified, professional counsellor
Counselling training course topics
Some of the essential counselling training you’ll receive includes:
- Responding to crisis situations
- Developing and facilitating counselling relationships
- Working with diverse people
- Helping those suffering from grief or trauma
Equipped with these skills, you’ll be able to provide professional guidance and mentoring in a variety of capacities and settings, including:
- Private practice
- Community and family support organisations
- Health centres
- Government support services
If you’re looking to pursue a meaningful career as a professional counsellor, helping others to achieve their goals, then TrainSmart Australia’s Diploma of Counselling will have you well on your way.